Monday, April 11, 2005

Get with the programme girls. Be A rugby wife, not a rugby widow

With Munster and Leinster both out of the European Cup and the Six Nations 05 a distant memory I was only too delighted to read about the forthcoming Lions Tour. Yeah, more rugby!, writes Spudnik’s wife Bundle who’s relishing the prospect of early morning pints during the Lions tour to New Zealand


You many wonder "why the excitement from a rugby widow?". Well, I am not a rugby widow - I am a rugby wife - and never the twain shall meet. A rugby widow spends her time feeling sad at the loss of her husband during the games whereas a rugby wife quite happily gets tucked into the supporting spirit with a large vodka and tonic firmly in her grasp. Oh how I love it! The excitement, anxiety, sleepless nights and ultimately terrible disappointment - but sure its all part of the fun.

My love for the sport has grown slowly over the past 9 years. Being a northsider (and not a southside enclave northsider) I was only introduced to the game when I met my husband. Its been a slow process learning the nuances of the game - I once asked him "why is that a line-out and not a try?". Oh dear... At least now I can name the players and even have my favourite player. Geordan (the ballerina) Murphy.

I gave him that name after the French game in the 2003 Six Nations when he jumped up to catch the ball in a style that reminded me somewhat of a ballerina doing a jumping up in the air twirly thing.

So I am impressed we got 11 onto the Lions squad which is to be captained by our own Brian (southside enclave northsider). I am particularly impressed considering the performance of the Irish team in the six nations. I am not impressed however with the size of the English contingent of 20 players!

What's the crack with that? They did come paddy-last in the six nations! Well I mean paddy-last against the "top teams". (sorry Scotland and Italy - but we knew you would be fighting over the wooden spoon).

It just doesn't seem fair - they are always the big kid in the playground with the fancy toys and stuff. We are always the little ones who have to eat the free sambows and warm milk!

But enough of my whinging or else I will sound like a brit! Heres to great crack in the summer - very early morning pints and lots of moaning by the brits when things don't go too well - and maybe, just maybe, the smell of victory!!!

1 Comments:

At Mon Apr 11, 02:10:00 p.m., Blogger spudnik said...

Whoo Hoo. Early morning pints. Way t'go babe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home